Dec 14, 2011

Review: "Clockwork Prince" by Cassandra Clare

Warning: This review may contain spoilers. 

Holy crap. This has been sitting in my room, in an Amazon box, waiting for me to get home from college and tear it open for a week. And it was so worth all the longing and impatience.
Clockwork Prince, Infernal Devices #2
Available on Amazon for $11.09

My first impressions?

This is a thousand times better than the first book of the Infernal Devices series (Clockwork Angel). I mean, it was just that good.

I've been a fan of Clare for a while now. She doesn't take herself too seriously, slipping in as much sarcasm and humor as writer-ly possible. And I like that in an author. It makes her characterization far more natural, in my opinion.

But this? This is taking it to a whole new level.



Firstly, there was just so much going on in this book. And yet it was pulled off perfectly. The POV shifts, the multitude of subplots... they all played together perfectly to create one hell of a good story. The plot of this book was much thicker, and it ramped up the complexity of the whole Mortmain scheme, as well as the stakes.

There were a lot more characters that got hurt here (with a sharp focus on mentally/emotionally), and a lot more that could have. There was a tension present throughout the entire novel (one of many) that made you feel like the clock was ticking down for the protagonists. And yet, like usual, Clare both resolved that tension and pulled off another spectacular (and totally unexpected) ending.

The dynamics between Will and Jem, were, for lack of a better word, beautiful. How Clare so gracefully depicted the stark contrast between their deep bond versus their many degrees of separation was simply astounding. And with Tessa added to the equation, there was a constant fear that at any second, that beautiful relationship would just shatter. Just like that.

Ah, and Tessa. I liked her far better in this installment. Her confusion over her feelings for Will and Jem was mildly annoying at times, but I feel she's become a much better developed character since Clockwork Angel. She took on risks I never could have imagined her doing in the previous novel, and I was shocked at the decision she makes near the end.

But it wasn't only Tessa's development that got me here. Clare developed so many characters in this book. So many. I particularly liked the development of Sophie and was pleasantly surprised at Clare's focus of her.

And then there were the new characters. There were quite a few minor character introductions in this one, and I have to say that I enjoyed every single one of them. But I won't spoil them for you. Though I will say we finally meet someone who has piqued my interest since the third Mortal Instruments book.

I think my favorite thing about Clockwork Prince, however, is Will. The sheer amount he changes in this book amazed me. And horrified me. And saddened me. Why? Well, you'll have to read it to find out the particulars yourself, but I will tell you that his part in this book is absolutely heartbreaking. There are a lot of characters that garnered my pity in this book. But none more so than Will.

Just, ah, wow. I'm almost afraid to see what happens to him in the next book.

Anyway, my overall impression should be quite clear: Buy Clockwork Prince. Read it. Now.

Seriously. I mean it.

If you're not convinced yet, may I enlighten you to my other major highlight?

Magnus Bane.

Oh, yes. Magnus. What Clare book is complete without Magnus? None of them, I say! He plays a particularly important role in this story, and like usual, is glorious at it.

Anyway, you should seriously read Clockwork Prince (while I impatiently wait the release of Clockwork Princess.)

Overall Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about today's message from the Maniacal Mind?